Twilight was a big success when it first released in 2008, being a worldwide hit and making an immense fan base around the world, this movie won a great amount of popularity and a great amount of money, a vampire movie which was a huge success internationally.
Here you’ll have some facts about the movie if you are a fan of this saga; you will like knowing more about the movie and how it was made.
1. Because Kristen Stewart was underage when they started filming Twilight, by law they could just work a certain amount of hours a day. To not let time to waste, Stewart used hair extensions. The day she came 18, she celebrated by working all the night long.
2. The dialogue in Jessica’s scene where she compares Bella to a ‘shining new toy’ was taken from ‘Midnight Sun’, the novel Meer wrote to tell the whole story from the point of view of Edward.
3. When they made the cast for New Moon, every actor that performed as wolves in the movie had to prove that they were from Native American ascendancy.
4. It was rumored that Diego Luna was offered the role as Aro for ‘New Moon’.
5. Kristen Stewart used contact lenses during the whole saga, the first four movies to cover her green eyes and the last one to reflect the change to a vampire. The only scene in which she didn’t use contact lenses was in New Moon when she fought Jacob under the rain because the rain moved the lenses in her eyes. They changed her eye color digitally.
6. Originally in Eclipse, the third wife of Billy’s story was going to be performed by Kristen Stewart, but after filming the scene, David Slade decided that it was fun and didn’t actually make the exact allusion of the subsequent events in the story.
7. In Eclipse, the scenes in which Riley and Victor create and prepared their army were based on the little novel written by Meyer ‘The Second Life of Bree Tanner’, Bree is the child that Carlisle and Esme try to save at the end.
8. Robert Pattinson took boat driving classes, but he still managed to hit a dock in a Brazil’s beach.
9. While they were filming Dawn in Brazil, everyone was trapped in the island for a night due to a strong storm. They had to sleep inside the house they filmed and cover the couches with plastic so the set wouldn’t be harmed.
10. Stephanie Meyer wrote an extra movie scene for Twilight that was exclusively published on the website Twilight Lexicon. The scene occurs when Bella leaves the Phoenix Hospital, she was driving her truck all the way to the hospital and had to come back with Edward and Alice, in the way, they had to sleep in a hotel suite in Las Vegas.
11. The first option Meyer had for the role of Edward was the British Actor Henry Cavill, however, at the moment the film started filming, the actor just reached the age of 25 and he didn’t look any more like a 17 yearsold guy. He was offered the role as Carlisle Cullen but he refused because he already had a compromise with ‘The Tudors’.
12. The role of Edward was between Jackson Rathbone, Ben Barnes, Shiloh Fernandez and Pattinson. Dustin Milligan and Dave Franco went to the casting audition too.
13. To finally win the role as Edward, Pattinson traveled from England to the house of Catherine Hardwicke, the director, where he auditioned with Stewart who already had won the role as Bella, the scene ‘Love Scene’ in Hardwicke’s bed.
14. Taylor Lautner’s long hair in the first movie of the saga, is a wig, that he actually hated.
15. Emile Hirsch was the one who recommended Kristen Stewart movie for the role of Bella to Hardwicke.
16. The Screenplay of the first movie was written in 6 weeks and was filmed in 48 days.
17. Nikki Reed, Jackson Rathbone, Rosalie, and Jasper, had to learn to play baseball with their left hand for a scene in the first movie.
18. Meyer has said that the saga was inspired by authors like Jane Austen, Orson Scott card, Shakespeare, and Charlotte Brontë. As a source of inspiration to write her book, she used bands like ‘Muse’ and ‘Linking Park’, two of her most favorites music bands, with both contributing to the soundtrack of the movie.
19. Pattinson, who hadn’t heard anything about the Twilight novel, decided to audition because he liked Stewart acting in ‘Into the Wild’.
20. Twilight made around 69 million dollars in its first weekend, the biggest amount of money a movie directed and played by a woman has made.
21. Meyer wrote another version of ‘Twilight’ in parallelism, a story told with the point of view of Edward, called ‘Midnight sun’.
22. Meyer had a cast ready before the final audition were held: Emily Browning as Bella; Henry Cavill as Edward; Charlie Hunnam as Carlisle; Mary Louise Parker as Esme; Rachel Leigh Cook as Alice; Trent Ford as Jasper and Olivia Wilde as Rosalie.
23. Cam Gigandet who originally was Emmet Cullen asked the director top lay the role of James, the role in which he finally appeared in the film.
24. Petter Facinelli was the second option to portrait Carlisle Cullen. When he knew that the role wasn’t his anymore, he sent a text to the director: ‘I hope to work with you sometime’; once the filming started, the actor who had got the role couldn’t keep with the film and had to leave, so Facinelli finally got the role.
25. Bryce Dallas Howard was offered the role of Victoria, she didn’t accept saying that the role was too little for her, when production fired Rachelle Lefevre who had the role before, Dallas finally accepted it.
26. The Character of Mike Newton, one of the best human friends of Bella, played by Michael Welch, was originally thought for Michael Angarano, in that moment, Kristen’s boyfriend.
After a long period of more than 5 years, this movie was a great success in the world, making more than 200 million in earnings and creating a fan base that was really loyal to not only the film by itself and the novel, but the actors who were portraying the lives of the main characters and the supporting ones.
This movie is one of the most successful in the last decade and will keep being one of the most important movies for teenagers in the 2000s, topping the list of the most important teen movies along with Harry Potter.